The latest quarterly debt statistics from Citizens Advice highlight that debt problems across the East Midlands have increased by 4% over the last year.
In total, 43,336 new debt problems were dealt with by CAB's across the region between April - June 2010, representing 33% of the total number of new problems presented by clients during this quarter.
The following breakdown highlights how different types of debt problem have changed compared to the same quarter last year:
Large volume debt types
- Telephone debts - up 10%
- Water arrears debts - up 7%
- Bank & building society overdrafts - down 1%
- Credit, store & charge cards - down 10%
- Mortgage & secured loan arrears - down 1%
- Unsecured personal loan debts - down 5%
Lower volume debt types
- Rent arrears to private landlords - up 46%
- Rent arrears to local authorities - up 45%
- Rent arrears to housing associations - up 29%
- Overpayments of Housing & Council Tax Benefits - up 37%
- Overpayments of IS &/or JSA - up 50%
- Overpayments of WTC & CTC - down 19%
Contact your local CAB to find out more about the debt problem in your local area.